Skip to main content


Page title

Copying and scanning for modules and courses

Less than 500 words

The University holds a CLA Higher Education Licence which enables staff to make multiple copies of copyright material within its repertoire. The CLA has a tool to check copying permissions, please use this to check if items are covered by our licence. If you are unsure if the material you wish to copy is covered please contact your Academic Liaison Librarian

General information on copyright, including protecting your work, is also available.  Please see our copyright guidance information if you are copying for your own use.


Paper Copies

  • Photocopies sourced from printed books, journals and magazines.
  • Printouts from digital material (such as ebooks, journals and websites).

Use the CLA Higher Education Check Permissions tool to find out whether a publication is permitted for photocopying.

The following extent limits apply for permitted works for the duration of a specific module as outlined in the CLA Higher Education Licence User Guidelines:

  • Up to 10% of a published work; or
  • one whole chapter from a book 
  • one whole article from a single issue of a journal
  • one whole scene from a play
  • one whole paper from a set of conference proceedings
  • one whole report of a single case from a volume of judicial proceedings
  • one short story, poem or play of not more than 10 pages from an anthology

These limits apply for digitised or photocopied material.  If you have already placed a digitisation request you are not permitted to exceed these limits with additional photocopying from that publication for the same module to distribute to students.

The total number of copies made should not exceed the number of students on a 'course of study' (in most cases a module) plus one for the tutor. The copies must be given to the students and not collected in for use with another cohort.


Digital Copies

We can scan copies for a specific course of study.  Scanning must be done by the digitisation team, subject to CLA HE Licence permissions and extent limits.  Please place your digitisation requests through Resource Lists.



Film, Television and Sound

The University has an Educational Recording Agency (ERA+) licence, which allows the recording of broadcasts to be made in the UK, for non-commercial educational use, of the works and performances owned or represented by ERA members, including the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Recordings are available within the UK. Please contact the Service Desk to arrange for an off air recording.

We also subscribe to a separate service called Box of Broadcasts, a shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. Recordings by Box of Broadcasts are better suited for individual use than in classes, due to the lower quality of recordings.



Copying from newspapers is covered by a licence issued by the Newspaper Licensing Agency, which covers making photocopies and printing newspaper cuttings.  Please read the full terms and conditions of the NLA licence before making copies.


Government information

Open Government Licence

Open Parliament Licence